Sunday, May 16, 2010

30-Day TRUE WOMAN Make-Over Day 16


Day #16... a day set apart for God... a day where I can corporately join other believers in worship, prayer and the Word... another day to live out all that I learn here in these devotionals, and all that I teach to the next generations!

Today's topic is: TRAINING OUR DAUGHTERS

Today's verse is Proverbs 31:16 -- "She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." (In the Amplified it reads, 'She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard. [S. of Sol. 8:12.]')

"In Titus 2:3-5, we are told to 'Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.' Older women, is a term used loosely here, and in most cases we don't want to see ourselves as the 'older women' in this verse. However, we all have a generation behind us, which we are 'older' than, so we all fit into this category. The 'younger women' category most of us fit into as well, although in seldom cases those 'older' than us may no longer be living to share the truths they have learned (but hopefully you gleaned something from them before they left the earth spiritually.) Therefore we are all 'teachers' and 'learners'." (Taken from DAY #1's devotion found here)

Some of us are not 'mothers' by name, meaning we have no children of our own (yet), but we have the role of teaching and training the young women of the next generations... I am blessed beyond belief to be a part of imparting the truth into the lives of the next generation. I love children, t'weens & youth, and love to impart into their lives and watch them 'blossom' into who God has designed them to be. I also however love the 'older', mature women in my church, who are imparting into my life as well. I know that some of them don't know how or that they have an impact in my life, so that I why I always want to be 'real' and 'practice what I preach', so that the young women watching me may be blessed as well.

Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old, they will not depart from it." Early education (school or church) is important. We need to reach them before the world reaches them, and takes their innocent faith-filled hearts trying to conform them to the image of the world. We need to help God transform their young pure hearts, and minds to the knowledge of Him. ("Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2 NIV)

Our 'daughters' need to learn exactly what we are learning through this 30-day Make-over. Each of these life principles and Spiritual principles need to be lived out, so that they may see and experience the JOY of knowing Jesus as King. If we do not live out our faith joyfully, they will not want any part of it. Nancy worded it like this in today's devotional... "One of the killers of the faith of Christian young people is that they do not see that their parents’ faith has joy in it. Your kids will most likely reject your religion if it is a joyless religion." To me, it's not religion, it's a relationship! But that's another topic of discussion...

This teaching/training/living out the truths is important at ANY age. It does not matter that your 8 year old is not worried about having kids, but if they have a dream/vision from the Lord about their future children, we cannot laugh it off, and not train them NOW, we need to take our responsibility serious, and show them now how to treat their husband, how to train their own children, and how to make life and Biblical principles real in their own lives. They learn by our example... There is an old poem that was written regarding how children learn what they live.

If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.

If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.

If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.

If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.

If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.

If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves

and in those about them.

If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.

If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.

If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.

If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.

If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.

If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.

If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.

If children live with acceptance, they learn to live.

If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.

If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.

If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.

If children live with fairness, they learn justice.

If children live with friendliness,

they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

by Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.

We have to show them the example, we cannot let the world teach our daughters about modesty, honesty, purity, etc... because the world does not believe in it. They allow our 'girls' to wear tight clothes (tighter than a school bag full of books); short dresses, skirts & shorts (shorter than a english paper); and low, revealing shirts or dresses (lower than the Grand Canyon)! (examples taken from today's devotional) The movies, tv shows and magazine ads all portray these 'awful' images to our young ladies, and they begin to think they have to dress like this, or act like that to be accepted in the world today. WE HAVE TO STOP THIS BEHAVIOUR, DRESS & ATTITUDES NOW! We must lead by example... especially if the young ladies in our 'circle of influence' do not have a mother, or a mother-figure who is a Christian/true woman of God.

The 'virtuous woman' in Proverbs 31 is just that... she is leading by example (for all of us who read about her). In verse 16 today, we see that "She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard." This woman 'considers' a field... she doesn't just take and spend her earnings on something the world offers, she inspects, closely examines and weighs her options before buying this land.

The word 'consider' by definition means:
–verb (used with object)

1.to think carefully about, esp. in order to make a decision; contemplate; reflect on: He considered the cost before buying the new car.
2.to regard as or deem to be: I consider the story improbable.
3.to think, believe, or suppose: We consider his reply unsatisfactory.
4.to bear in mind; make allowance for: The arrest was justified if you consider his disorderly behavior.
5.to pay attention to; regard: He considered the man for some time before speaking to him.
6.to regard with respect, thoughtfulness, honor, etc.; esteem.
7.to think about (something that one might do, accept, buy, etc.): to consider a job in Guatemala.
8.Obsolete. to view attentively; scrutinize.
9.Obsolete. to recompense or remunerate.


–verb (used without object)
10.to think deliberately or carefully; reflect.
11.to view carefully or thoughtfully.


She thought carefully, deliberately, and with attention before purchasing this land. Now this land purchase was not for herself, but for the betterment of her family. She didn't just rush into the decision, she carefully and thoughtfully planned out every detail. After she purchased the land, she went on to use her earnings and plant a vineyard as well. This vineyard would provide for her family and herself. She would gain more out of what she reaped and sowed, than the cost of the property to begin with.

This example shows us that we need to be deliberate, careful and attentive in our thought processes, our purchases, etc. If we are so, then the ones watching us will learn from us and continue the process. For example, I don't tell Bible stories/Historical events just for the joy of telling them, I tell them so that I can also help those listening to apply it to their own lives as well. I carefully and deliberately study the story, so that I can get out of it what I believe (through Holy Spirit's wisdom and guidance) they need to hear. (Even if it is for JUST ONE!) This also proves the same with 'special occasion art' that I like to do with the children I teach. (Special occasion meaning, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc...) I try to have the thing we are making be useful, to be something the parents will not just hang for the moment (like a picture), but something they can keep or cherish for a lifetime. It is sad to me when I see children working really hard on paintings, or crayon pictures, only to show their parents, and then watch or know their parents throw them in the trash. Now I do know that you can't keep EVERYTHING that your child makes, or WOW what a mess of papers you would have... but sometimes I know the art gets left in their cubby, only for us to throw it out later. That child sees that their parent is not really interested in their work, and therefore may stop trying, or continuing to make pictures, or whatever the case may be.

They (the younger generation) are also ALWAYS watching us. Sometimes we think they may not be 'looking', but they are. (Like I said above, some women do not know that they have impacted my life, because I see or hear things from them just in passing sometimes that have meant a lot to me, or that I have taken to heart to pass on to the next generation as well.) There is also another poem regarding this... "When You Thought I Wasn't Looking".

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator,
and I wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you feed a stray cat,
and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you make my favorite cake for me,
and I knew that little things are special things.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I heard you say a prayer,
and I believed that there was a God to talk to.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I felt you kiss me goodnight,
and I felt loved.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw tears come from your eyes,
and I learned that sometimes things hurt,
but it's alright to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw that you cared,
and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I looked....
and I wanted to say thanks for all the things
I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.
~Author Unknown~
 
So be on the lookout for those who are looking to you as an example. They may be your own kids, someone else's kids, or even those in generations above you.
 
BE BLESSED AND BE A BLESSING!
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your way of raising a child doesn't include spanking. Love and reason - for a reason. :)

    ReplyDelete

Check out 'THE ME I WANT TO BE'/'MONVEE' Intro Video By John Ortberg

I WRITE LIKE... (Click the link below and 'Analyze your writing')

I write like
Anne Rice

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

Two are better than one...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails